Sunday, January 25, 2009

Friday Night Rattle.

Well, I've only been out here in LA for a little over 6 months and I've already experienced another earthquake. This one considerably larger then the first. Perhaps not by the Richter scale, it was rated at 3.4, but screw that, I know what I felt. This quake was bigger and scarier then the the other one by my standards. Until you've actually felt the earth tremble under your feet, or watch strong, sturdy buildings turn into Jell-o and shake, or more importantly, the way your body and emotions react to such an unnatural feeling, it's hard to understand the power the earth holds. It was Friday night at 7:42pm and I was working my Starbucks gig. Next thing you know, customers were fleeing for the doors and my co-worker was hitting the floor and I, in a small state of shock, just stood their, observing ever thing that was happening around me. It lasted only seconds, and it wasn't till a few minutes later that I panicked. I blame this mostly on my Father, for earlier that day he started talking to me about the second coming of Christ. Naturally, I couldn't help but think, this is it. It's all come down to this. And forgive me roommates, for I know you can take care of yourselves, but the first thing that crossed my mind was, "GRACIE!" At which point I went into panic mode calling my roommate, Joe, to make sure all the dogs were okay. Oddly enough, he was on the promenade, where I work, and when I asked him, "did you feel the earthquake?" His response was, "Is that what that was." For Joe, it was just a loud noise, something he compared to a garbage truck picking up trash. And for Eric, who was working at Apple, also on the promenade, he said it sounded like somebody dropped something in their attic. He said he also just stood there as shoppers ran to get out of the store. It wasn't until right afterwords that he was also struck with a sense of fear. I find it interesting how the three of us were all in the same place, yet we had three different experiences. Scary, scary stuff. All I know for sure is that I certainly don't want to be around for the next "big one" that scientist are predicting to hit LA, sometime soon.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

SCARY! Come to Colorado...we don't have those here!